– Get rid of the plastic bags – Start using the Shopping baskets
Shopping Baskets is an on-going project at Vissinggaard
In January 2006, Eva Seidenfaden brought together 12 of the leading Danish basket makers in order to develop Shopping Baskets.
The purpose of this project was to:
- Highlight the need for baskets as opposed to plastic bags
- The aim of this project is to design shopping baskets that ease the transport of groceries from the trolley to the car, bicycle or pram.
- Break existing norms in relation to the appearance of baskets and the use of materials in making them
- Visualise the results through various channels, such as exhibitions
THE PROJECT HAS 3 PARTS:
1. DESIGN AND MUTUAL INSPIRATION:
To design and weave in a capacity of mutual inspiration, where ideas are shared and undertaken together rather than individually.
We would like to try and break the norms related to which materials a basket can be made of, as well as its functional and artistic look. By doing this, we can thereby join the public debate associated to design, functionality and use of resources.
We will present our results through workshops, exhibitions, articles and the Internet.
The purpose of these exhibitions is to emphasise the political message related to the use of baskets instead of plastic bags. We want to inspire people to see the possibilities related to this project and get new ideas of how to work teach and use different materials.
We strive to present our results in a public area, whenever possible.
3. DANISH DESIGN CONVERTED TO AFRICAN SETTINGS:
The project has started production, which leads to employment and income for women in Burkina Faso, one of the poorest countries in the world. The focus is on recycling.
The shopping baskets are produced under strict quality control with individual designs that are based on the creations by the Danish basket makers.
Continuation of our consept
The group has worked with numerous projects since the first idea concerning the shopping baskets.If you wish to know more about the project please contact:firstname.lastname@example.org